• ENGLISH SERVICE DESK Mon-Fri: 09:00 -17:00 (JST)
  • outside Japan +81-3-6859-6234
  • within Japan 03-6859-6234
  • Reservations


Rental Requirements

What kind of driver's license do I need?

You must have a valid driver's license to rent and drive a vehicle in Japan.
Please click here for more information about driver's licenses.

Can I rent a car if I have an international driving permit?

Yes, if you can present your passport and one of the following valid international driving permits to drive in Japan.

(1) International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit issued under Convention of Road Traffic of September 19, 1949. (Holders of international driving permits issued in accordance with the Vienna Convention (1968), by the EU, or permits with other formats are not permitted to drive in Japan)

(2) Driver's license from own country/region and an official Japanese translation: Driver's license issued in Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, Taiwan, Slvenia or Monaco with a Japanese translation provided by a government-authorized organization.

Can I still rent a car if I don't have my driver's license with me when I pick up the car?

No, you can not. You must present your original driver's license at the rental office when you pick up the vehicle or you will not be able to rent it. Not having your driver's license with you while driving is a violation of the Japanese Road Traffic Law. Please make sure to bring your driver's license.

In what situations would I not be able to rent a car even with a valid driver's license?

In situations including being under the influence of alcohol, failure to pay the rental fee or other charges or failure to return a vehicle during past rentals, etc.
For further information, please see Nippon Rent-A-Car's Terms and Conditions for Rental, Chapter 9.


How do I make a reservation?

You can reserve a vehicle by calling the English Service Desk or using the online Reservation Form.
Please click here for further information.

How do I change or cancel a reservation?

Please contact the English Service Desk by telephone or e-mail.
Please click here for further information.

Is there a cancellation fee for canceling a reservation?

Yes. Designated cancellation charges apply when canceling a reservation up to 7 days prior to the rental date. If you do not contact the rental office and more than one hour has passed after the reserved pick-up time, your reservation is considered canceled. Cancellation charges do not apply for cancellations made on the same day as the reservation is made.

Can you arrange a driver?

No. Nippon Rent-A-Car does not provide drivers. Customers are requested to make their own arrangements for a driver if one is needed. Rental car companies in Japan are legally prohibited from driving vehicles and introducing or arranging drivers.

Do rental rates change depending on the time of year?

Yes. Rates may change during the high season depending on the region. Please click here for high season dates and rates.


What are the age requirements for child safety seats? Does using a child safety seat change the car's seating capacity?

According to the Japanese Road Traffic Law, the driver is required to have children under the age of 6 use a child safety seat when riding in a vehicle. Please click here for further information including Nippon Rent-A-Car's own guidelines.

Can I reserve optional equipment such as snow tires, chains, and a ski and snowboard rack?

Yes. Please reserve optional equipment(s) when you reserve your vehicle. Snow tires are offered as a standard feature free of charge in winter months only in areas with snowfall. They are optional and available for a fee in other regions. Chains and ski and snowboard racks are optional equipment available for a fee in some regions. Please click here for further information about regions and dates of availability.

Can I reserve a GPS navigation system?

Yes. Please reserve a GPS navigation system when you reserve your vehicle. Passenger cars and minivans are equipped with GPS navigation systems as a standard feature and are provided free of charge. Please click here for further information.

Can I reserve a non-smoking car?

Yes. When using the online Reservation Form, please select a non-smoking vehicle. When making a reservation by telephone, please specify that you want a non-smoking vehicle. However, please be aware that some rental offices do not have non-smoking vehicles in all vehicle classes.

Can I return the car to another rental location?

Yes. Nippon Rent-A-Car offers one-way rentals, so you can return your vehicle to a different location than the pick-up location. It may cost you a separate one-way drop charge. One-way rentals are not available at some rental offices due to geographical conditions and other factors. Reservations are required for one-way rentals. Please click here for one-way rental fees and further information.

Insurance Coverage

In addition to the basic rental fee, do I need to purchase insurance?

No. Purchasing separate insurance is not required, as the basic rates for rental vehicles already include basic compensation coverage. A separate charge applies if you wish to purchase a collision damage waiver (CDW) covering vehicle and property damage deductibles.

What are the differences between the Recommended Course and the Regular Course?

The Recommended Course and Regular Course provide different levels of compensation in the event of an accident as well as different roadside services.

[Regular Course]

  • Bodily injury/death: Unlimited
  • Property damage: JPY 30 million (deductible:JPY50,000)
  • Rental vehicle: Market value (deductible: JPY50,000 or JPY100,000)
  • Personal injury: JPY 30 million

[Recommended Course]

  • Bodily injury/death: Unlimited
  • Property damage: Unlimited (deductible:JPY50,000)
  • Rental vehicle: Market value (deductible: JPY50,000 or JPY100,000)
  • Personal injury: JPY 50 million

In addition, the Recommended Course includes 4 major services that provide assistance for various troubles. Please click here for further information.

What is collision damage waiver (CDW) coverage?

This is optional coverage that waives the customer's responsibility for deductibles of rented vehicle and property damage caused in the event of an accident. Please click here for further details.

What is the non-operation charge (NOC)?

If Nippon Rent-A-Car's vehicle requires repair or cleaning due to an accident, theft, breakdown, defacement, or other cause not attributable to Nippon Rent-A-Car, the customer is charged an NOC as partial compensation for loss of use during vehicle repair or cleaning. This charge is not dependent on the degree of damage or time required for the repair or cleaning. Please click here for further information.


When do I pay for the rental car?

Payment of the basic rate, one-way rental fee, collision damage waiver (CDW) fee, optional fees, consumption tax (including regional consumption tax), and other fees are paid at the time of pick-up. Other fees including excess hour fees and fuel charges are calculated and paid when returning the vehicle.

Can I pay in cash?

Yes, for some car types. Please settle all rental charges by acceptable credit card at the rental office when you pick up your car. If you wish to pay in cash (including acceptable electronic money, debit card, etc.) you will need to present 1) below when you are renting a vehicle in one of the classes of S-C, S-D, O-B, O-C, X-C, W-B, W-C, Y-C, T-D. R-E, or R-F or a specially equipped vehicle such as a refrigerated truck or a truck with a power liftgate. To rent a vehicle other than one of the aforementioned classes/categories, you will need to present either 1) or 2) below.

*O-B, O-C, and X-C class vehicles are limited to certain regions.

(1) Valid credit card

(2) Supporting document which Nippon Rent-A-Car specifies One of the followings : No. 1 Club member's card (card must be printed with member's name, company name, etc. and show current address) / Utility receipt (electricity, gas, water, land-line phone, NHK)* / social insurance premium receipt* / national or local tax receipt* / tax payment certificate* / certificate of residence (juminhyo) without individual number* / certificate of seal (inkan shomei)* / health insurance card / pension handbook / Basic Resident Registration Card (listing name, date of birth, address) / passport / alien registration card / residence card (zairyu card) / certificate of special permanent resident / company ID or student ID card (with photo)

*Supporting documents with (*) must be issued within 2 months of use.

*We do not accept any supporting documents which carry individual number including individual number card, notice of individual number and copy of certificate of residence with individual number. Please do not present such documents at our rental office.

Can I pay by a credit card?

Yes. Nippon Rent-A-Car accepts payments made with most major credit cards (single charge only).

How is the rental rate calculated?

Nippon Rent-A-Car's rate system is based on the class of the rental vehicle and the rental season. Please click here for further information.

Tell me about the late-night rental fee.

At rental offices open 24 hours, a late-night/early-morning fee of JPY 1,080 (tax included) is charged for pick-up and/or return procedures between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 4:59 a.m. If both procedures are made between these hours, only the pick-up portion is charged the fee.

Does the rental fee change depending on the distance driven?

No. Rental rates do no change depending on driving distance. Rates include unlimited kilometers.

While Renting the Vehicle

What do I need to bring when I pick up the car?

On the day you pick up the car, you will need

(1) Driver's license of the driver/additional driver(s)

(2) Passport

(3) Credit card

Please click here for further information.

If there is more than one driver, what happens if all the drivers cannot come to the rental office?

The names of all drivers must be reported at the time of pick-up. Please list the names of all drivers (with a valid driver's license) on the Rental Agreement.

What do I do about refueling?

Rental vehicles have full tanks of fuel at the time of pick-up, and customers are requested to return vehicles with a full tank of fuel designated by the automaker. If you cannot return the vehicle with a full tank, you will be charged according to either the number of kilometers driven (calculation method provided separately), or the amount of fuel in the tank based on the fuel gauge position. Please be aware that this may result in fuel charges higher than the actual fuel cost.
Please click here for further information about refueling.

What should I do if I'm involved in an accident?

In the event you are involved in an accident, please immediately take the following 3 steps. Please make sure to do all 3 of the following steps, as they include important procedures necessary to be covered by insurance and compensation coverage.

(1) Providing aid to the injured First, please provide aid to the injured.
Then, promptly move the rental vehicle out of the way of other traffic.

(2) Contact the police from the scene and report the accident. Telephone:110
Both parties, regardless of fault, are obligated to report the accident to the police. Please complete the necessary procedures, as the accident report (jiko shomeisho) will be required at a later date.

(3) Contact Nippon Rent-A-Car's Accident Reception Center
Contact the Accident Reception Center after locating your Rental Agreement.
Telephone: 0120-220-865

Please click here for further details.

Are certain procedures necessary even for small scrapes that do not constitute an accident?

Yes. Nippon Rent-A-Car regards scratches and dents, no matter how small, as accidents regardless of whether another party is involved.

Please take the steps designated above even if you are not sure if they are necessary. (If you do not complete the required procedures, insurance and CDW coverage may not apply and the customer will bear the expense.)

In addition, the following charge applies as partial compensation for loss of use during vehicle repair regardless of the degree of damage or time required for the repair.

Non-operation charge (NOC)

(1) When returning the vehicle to the scheduled rental office (vehicle can be driven): JPY 20,000

(2) Other (apart from (1) above): JPY 50,000

What if my plans suddenly change and I want to change the return time or location?

If you want to change the return time or location after picking up your vehicle, please contact the office where you picked up the vehicle.
The office will inform you whether a change is possible after confirming the reservation schedule of the vehicle. Excess hour charges apply when extending the return time, and a separate one-way rental fee may apply for changing the return location after vehicle pick-up regardless of whether the return location is in the same or a different prefecture.